Friday 29 May 2015

An Inspector Calls

Since my last blog, crafting life had to stop temporarily thanks to the arrival of school inspectors (those who shall not be named!) Since then, I have been trying to make up for lost time!

After many nights left on the side, I completed the shawl made from the blue gradient batts mentioned in my last post. The pattern is Nigella by Rahymah


I then decided to use the first yarn I made from punis off my new blending board. The punis had all sorts of fibre in, hand dyed merino, scarlet silk, sparkle, Coopworth locks, and superfine merino.

 


I decided to knit a new style of shawl for me, this pattern is called Whirlwind Romance by Nim Teasdale


Since then I have been happily busy washing fleece


This was a particularly smelly fleece from a young female Shetland called Katie - who REALLY needs to change her perfume! Beautifully soft, but quite short staple length, so after trying to comb some of the fibre, I think carding will be the way to go.

I now have quite a nice collection of washed fleeces in pillow cases ready to play with, including Shetland in Moorit and Grey, Castlemilk Moorit, Portland, Jacob and another wonderful Merino x Shetland - with polled Dorset and Ryland on their way.

Finally I have even managed to get back to blending fibres, after wandering around walking the dogs, I was inspired to use the colours of native wild flowers as inspiration (not necessarily ones out now!)

Dog Rose Gradient in merino

 


Foxglove punis - blend of merino, tussah silk, crab and kid mohair.


My carefree days of fibre fun are drawing to a close again for a little while, I still have more flowers to use as inspiration for gradients and punis (I need to write them down before I forget!) However, Woolfest is near, and this little gem will be coming home with me - a Timbertops!!

Happy Crafting Everyone!



 


1 comment: